I am SO excited to share that we are getting ready to move forward with our little kitchen renovation project. I’ve been dreaming about updating our small kitchen for years now. I even made this little mood board up back in February, when the hubs & I started discussing our wish list and counting our pennies:
These days, our kitchen looks like this:
The big problems with our kitchen are:
1. Extremely limited counter space (we’ve added some Ikea island/kitchen carts to add both surface & shelf space) – everything is very cluttered! (Also, snapped these photos during a particularly hectic time…)
2. Extremely limited storage. The original upper cabinets were removed years ago (why?????) – so I keep many appliances, large platters and cookware, etc. in storage areas outside the kitchen due to the lack of space.
3. No dishwasher. (More so than even the work of washing dishes, I’m getting tired of chipping & breaking dishes during the washing/dish rack process!)
4. Old fashioned, stained Formica countertop
5. Outdated and “yellowed” white appliances (and an unreliable oven).
6. Old cabinets (that have several layers of paint & no practical features like a lazy susan, sliding drawers, etc.
Most of these problems are easily dealt with. Our kitchen renovation will be completed with the help of our neighbor, a contractor, and will be rather budget-friendly. We did splurge a bit on new appliances (our new refrigerator is already here and in place, while the rest of our Frigidare Gallery set sits in the garage).
So here’s the to-do list for the project, with most jobs falling in the neighbor/contractor category, while others we will tackle ourselves:
1. Installation of new white base & upper cabinets in a full L-shape. (The refrigerator used to live in that cabinet-less corner on the right, but we’ve moved it to the other wall to allow space for the dishwasher and extended counter surface).
2. Open shelving to the right of the window.
3. Installation of new gas stove and over-the-range microwave to replace the current wall oven/cooktop combo –> we will gain cabinet & counter space with this change!
4. Installation of dishwasher.
5. New counter top and under-mount SS sink.
6. White subway tile back splash.
7. Fresh paint job (grey?)
8. Caulk cleaning/coloring? for ceramic floor tiles.
9. Designing & building a pub-style table for next to the refrigerator.
10. New lighting fixtures –> pendant above sink (like this one), and either curved track lighting or a new, non-boob-light flush mount fixture in the center.
11. New molding around window, new pantry door & new door molding.
12. Eating area – perhaps a custom built bar, or a fun retro pub table?
These three kitchens are my major sources of inspiration:
1. This GORGEOUS white kitchen remodel over at Our House.
2. This beautiful and cheery bright, white kitchen from House Beautiful.
3. This small kitchen featuring open shelving from Southern Living.
I just cannot wait for this project to start – I can only imagine how much better all of my food & baked goods will taste when they come out of our new kitchen! 🙂